Saturday, October 2, 2010

Snoopy's Silly Sports Spectacular (1990)

                                                                              
Today, October 2nd, 2010 is the 60th Anniversary of Peanuts. You know Charlie Brown, Snoopy, Linus and the gang? 60 years of Charlie Brown goodness. Personally I love Peanuts (also did you know the creator of Peanuts, Charles M. Schulz, hated the title Peanuts and it was forced on him by newspapers. Wild stuff!) I've loved Peanuts since I was a child. I would collect the old books with strips in em. (along with Garfield, B.C., Wizard of Id, Calvin and Hobbes, and Bloom County. I even had a few Hagar the Horrible books for some reason [even as a kid I could tell Hagar was dire shit] and I loved them) So I decided why not celebrate this occasion by reviewing one of my favorite games from my childhood, Snoopy's Silly Sports Spectacular.

First I think you should all know about some trivia related to this game. In Japan this was a Donald Duck game. Yep, Instead of Snoopy, his pal Woodstock and his brother Spike. You had Donald and Daisy. Crazy huh? Kemco had the rights for a short time in Japan for the Disney characters (these rights would end up going to Capcom, and even though I like a lot of Kemco games I gotta say they are not even half as good as Capcom was) Since Capcom had the rights in America, Kemco had to get the rights to Peanuts and make graphical changes. WILD STUFF AIN'T IT?

                                                                              
This is a sports game (well duh) but the sports in it are pretty weird. Sock Race , Boot Toss, Pogo Jump, Overboard, Pile of Pizza, and River Jump (which seems to be random if you win it or not. or maybe I don't know what to do. Who knows?). This game is kind of comparable to those terrible Track and Field games, except in this game you can actually beat an event. Maybe even the game itself (I got the Bronze Medal... woo) where as I've never be able to beat a single event in either Track N Field games. I say this because all three games (Track N Field 1-2 and this game) have different events and are button mashers, however I can actually get somewhere in Snoopy Silly Sports Spectacular (I fucking love that title, too).

                                                                              

The graphics are pretty damn nice to be honest. The characters look like their comic strip counterparts. The backgrounds are nice. The music, MAN I fucking love the music in this game. the opening theme. GOD DAMN, I love it. I also love the rest of the music in this game. Very catchy stuff. The game is pretty fun, however the River Jump can be a damn pain in the ass. I mentioned above that it seems to be random if you win or lose, or maybe it isn't and I just don't know how to do it correctly, but I think it could have been made a tad easier to figure out. Also maybe a few more events would have been nice, but the game is pretty fun, although it probably wont take you too long to beat it. (and by beat it I mean get any metal after crossing 10,000 points. I plan to try to get Gold)

I bet some people would be surprised that Snoopy was in a NES game, but that's not it. He was in two PC games (one for the Commodore 64. and one for the PC) He was probably in another PC game starring Charlie Brown. He was in this rather fun puzzle game for the Gameboy called Snoopy's Magic Show. He was in Snoopy's Tennis. And even on the PS2 and XBOX. I was honestly surprised to find out that he was in that many games, but then again the characters are pretty damn popular.

No comments:

Post a Comment