Monday, October 11, 2010

A Nightmare on Elm Street (1990)

                                                                              
A Nightmare on Elm Street was my other favorite series as a kid, however to be honest I don't think most of the movies held up as well as the Friday the 13th movies, I could easily watch any Friday the 13th movie any time I wanted yet most of the Freddy movies feel eh. I mean the original is still a classic. Part 2 is hilarious in how incredibly homoerotic it is. and Part 3 is a very fun movie, then it kinda goes to crap. 4 was okay. 5 was not very good except for the Super Freddy scene. Part. 6 was a bad movie but I still liked it more than parts 4 or 5 (mostly because it was so bad it was hilarious. and he uses the fucking Power Glove!). And I didn't like New Nightmare (of course the last time I saw that movie I was 10. I was probably expecting something a lot like the other ones) So Freddy just doesn't hold up as well.






To be totally fair while I LIKE the Friday the 13th game, I can honestly see why it's not some peoples cup of tea and why they totally hate it. However when it comes to A Nightmare on Elm Street, I can NOT see why this game is seen as one of the worst games on the NES, thats because it totally kicks ass. This is one of the best licensed games on the NES. It's up there with Batman and the Disney / Capcom titles, and yes I totally do mean that.

                                                                             

This game boasts pretty damn good graphics, good but not great sound (seriously this game was developed by Rare, they have made better music than this. Seriously go listen to anything from Battletoads and then come back to listen to this. a HUGE difference)  a decent challenge (this game is not that hard, but will take some time to beat) and a very unique gameplay mechanic, where in you enter the dream world and become a Dream Warrior (just like in the 3rd movie!) which is pretty awesome. The only flaws I can think off is that Freddy himself is incredibly easy (seriously, He's Freddy goddamn Kruger, he should be one of the hardest bosses to beat in all of Video gaming!) and some of the enemies are generic, other than that I fail to see how this is a bad game that I should be hating with all of my heart.

I think this is a perfect example of a good game that has gotten a bad rap. Seriously worth checking out, forget the fact it was PUBLISHED BY THOSE EVIL RAINBOW PEOPLE AHHHHHHH and just play the fucking thing.                                                                

No comments:

Post a Comment