Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Beetlejuice (1990)

                                                                              
I loved Beetlejuice when I was a kid. The movie and the cartoon. Again I can't remember if I played this game as a kid, but I'm pretty sure if I did it would have kicked the shit out of my ass. THE SHIT WOULD HAVE BEEN BEATEN OUT OF MY ASS and I would probably not really have liked it, because I remember not liking it the first time I played it, yes this game like Godzilla is yet another game I kinda like now. I have to admit I do have terrible taste, but its my blog so  eat shit.

                                                                            

Published by LJN, but made by Rare (that's right, if you want to belittle this game you gotta blame it on your precious Battletoads makers) is admittly a pretty flawed game, but I like some of the things they tried. The Scares were a neat idea but they all pretty much do the same thing (except the Bird Man one makes you jump higher, thats the only difference that I've found), and the game doesn't really tell you about the scares so you may end up dying at the first boss. NES games liked to fuck you over so much, and thats one of the reasons why I love them.

                                                                              

The graphics, and music and control are all pretty alright. They do the job. However, the hit detection in this game is god damn terrible. GOD DAMN TERRIBLE. You have two attacks, one attack where you can smush bugs and a jump attack that kills flies and other random enemies. I have never killed any of the bigger eneimes with the jump attack so you mostly have to avoid them. Which is pretty shitty and makes this game harder than it should be. Speaking of the challenge, this game is harder than trying to say something positive about House Party 3. However the bosses are pretty easy (at least the first two are. I can't beat the third level yet!)

There's also this "bonus level" with a Sandworm in it and I'm pretty sure AdamL, Roth and strx of the dead NES Zone couldn't beat it. It's that god damn hard. I don't think it's possible to hit or kill the sandworm, so getting to this room is pretty much death. Which is a total dick move game. Damn.

Anyway, I don't really know why I kinda like this game. I think it's the challenge. I LOVE a good challenge. Hell I LOVE a totally unfair challenge. The feeling after beating a HARD NES game is god damn wonderful. It's one of the best feelings ever. EVER. So I guess if you like a good challlenge, I'd say check out Beetlejuice.

No comments:

Post a Comment