Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Popeye (1985?)

                                                                               
OK, this is for the shitty Othello "review" I posted, At least it is to make up for that "review" and to be fair, Othello is a game meant for two human players, it simply isn't very entertaining otherwise and it WAS true. I didn't have any one to play it with and like Legends of the Diamond I wanted to get to the next game to review and didnt want to waste any time with a really shitty review (trust me the review would have sucked.) But today we take another look at the old BLACK BOX games but today's game is something special, it is to the best of my knowledge the first game to feature a licensed character in a NES game.

                                                                            

That's right, the first game to feature a fictional character wasn't Batman or Scrooge McDuck or Superman or something like that, nope it was Popeye. A character created in like 1929 and a character I have no fond memories of. You see I never saw anything related to Popeye (unless I'm forgetting which could be the case) until I saw the movie with Robin Williams when I was in my teens (I actually remember liking the movie a fair bit too.) so I don't have any nostaligic memories towards the character or the game. I just know who he is. That's it and you'd have to be living under a goddamn rock for decades not to at least know who Popeye the Sailor Man is.

                                                                             

I think this was also an arcade conversion, along with Donkey Kong. I don't know if the arcade game had more levels or anything. I mean the Donkey Kong arcade did have an extra level in it that was taken out in the NES version, but I'm already totally sure anyone wasting their time reading this shit knows what I'm talking about. Enough blather, it's time to get down to the knitty gritty and talk about this game and wouldn't you know it that the first game to have a license stuck on it is actually pretty fucking good.  Maybe I just don't expect as much from 25 year old video games and realize that even the best games back then had problems and that even the worst games have their positive points, what I'm trying to get at is that I like a lot of licensed games most people don't, mostly because I try to remain positive about pretty much everything in my life, even when playing games based off movies and tv shows. I guess what I'm saying is that I'm just not as picky as every other NES fan. Also I should just get back to talking about this game.

Popeye is like pretty much every other arcade classic in that it's very simple and very goddamn addictive. You play through like 3 fucking levels until it resets. I really don't know whats up with these Arcade to NES games but I really like them. They are just simple fun, no crazy outlandish levels, no bosses, no plots, all you do in them is try to get as many points as possible. It's just a really simple fun. I know I haven't talked much about the game but there's not much to say. For its time the graphics are pretty damn good, backed up with some catchy music. The play control is also very good, and I'm saying this right now, that if you like your arcade classics, I'm fucking sure you will like Popeye. Now get off your ass and get yourself a copy of this game.

No comments:

Post a Comment