Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The Jetsons: Cogswell's Caper (1992)





 I've mentioned my admitted distaste for things related to the Flintstones. In fact, the only thing I honestly like about the Flintstones was the NES games and the SNES game and the Genesis game. They actually put out good games related to not so good licenses. I never had the vitamins (too expensive for my cheap ass family) and I never liked the cereal all that much. I didn't like the tv show, and I never had any of the merchandise because I don't give a shit about Fred, or Wilma, or Betty, or Bam Bam, or Pebbles. I do like Barney though. He's a good man. Uh... Yeah, I should mention I feel the same exact way towards the Jetsons, I never liked them all that much either. I had some joke planned here but since I don't write any of these reviews in advance only when I decide "hey lets talk about some games no one cares about" and shit out a terrible review only Roth and DamienC read. At least I don't got jerks like Loogaroo reading my precious material! Either way I forgot the joke, but you don't need to worry your pretty little head about it, It wasn't a very good joke at all (but to be fair, every joke I've ever told is no good, so it would just fit in right at home)

                                                                           

Either way, I'm still glad they made the Jetsons because I'm a fan of this rather enjoyable NES game.  Taito published the game but the fine people who made S.C.A.T (yes yes, I know, piss off that joke got old in 2004) and Shadow of the Ninja made it. That's right Natsume. The company people only know about because of that somewhat entertaining series of games where you run a farm or some shit. They did other things people! Better things! That's right. I'm saying this game here based on a licence is a better game than your precious Harvest Moon. WHATYA GONNA DO ABOUT IT? HUH?  That's right. NOTHING! So bite me! Anyway, this game does everything right for the most part. The characters you all love (or if your a bitter asshole like myself, don't like at all. Except that sexy sexy Judy Jetson. I'd let her Orp my Eek any day! That's right I just made a refrence to that dumb song. PLEASE KILL ME NOW!) all appear. Even the characters from the movie and latter series from the 1980s that no one remembers or cares about. Natsume shoved every single fucking one of them in here. So I think they did a good job with that.

                                                                           

The graphics are pretty good, nice and bright, although I wish George's sprite was a bit better detailed, I mean I remember his sprite from the Flintstones game looking a whole lot nicer. Still I can't really complain. Also this game has some really nice music, nice and upbeat. Very memorable stuff. The game has some really nice interesting levels and bosses too. All the different planets George has to go to stop the nefarious Cogswell! That's another thing, this game has a semi-decent plot too. I mean I've rambled on about how I don't give a shit about plots but this game has one that isn't too bad, does a good job of getting you into the game and wanting to see the ending. AND the game is a fair challenge, each level gets harder and harder like it should. Only problem I have is that the controls are a little floaty at times, but other than that I don't really have many squabbles with this title.

The Jetsons: Cogswell's Caper is a proof that you don't have to use a good licence to make a good game. Now they need to dig deep into the Hannah Barbera vault and bring me a goddamn Wally Gator game. THAT'S RIGHT ASSHOLES. GET TO IT.

No comments:

Post a Comment