Saturday, November 14, 2020

Some Thoughts on The First Two Dead Rising Games...




 Well, I actually am doing it! HOLY MOLY! That's right after 5 years I've finally felt like I want to talk about stupid pointless horse shit again. It sure beats using Twitter that's for sure. Anyway expect discussions on just about every thing I enjoy coming right at your face! And hopefully this time I'll keep at it because even if no one ever comments it's still fun and thats something I haven't had on the internet in quite some time, yet I use the internet too much. Weird how that works huh?

Anyway enough pointless horse shit about my feelings on the internet, maybe I'll do a whole article on that later on but I felt that since this mostly started as a video game blog (mostly for old NES games I was playing) I felt I should talk about the games I've been playing... which are the first two  Dead Rising games. I had heard of these over the past 14 years but back then I was only playing NES games and nothing else really because only I would want to beat shitty games like Predator or whatever instead of playing good games.

Dead Rising is a zombie action game which is vastly different than the Resident Evil games (I also finally played parts 2 and 3 thanks to the remakes that came out recently) These games are more about action and comedy then really trying to use zombies to scare the pants off you. Anyway in the first game you play as Frank West trying to figure out what started the whole zombie thing. 

I like a lot of stuff about this game, smashing zombies is satisfying as hell, the game has a weird uniqueness comedy vibe to it, all kinds of weird shit in it. Weird bosses, weird people to save, hell you can even crossdress, and the plot is interesting enough for me to go through it several times trying to get to level 50 and get as many achievements as I can (I don't do achievements very well because I get lazy after beating a game) The only thing I really don't like is that the overtime mode ramps up the difficulty and I think that takes a lot away from the charm of the game. I dunno.

Anyway I have beaten Dead Rising but I'm still working on Dead Rising 2 but I can already say that in my mind it's the better game by far, even if some things I don't like. A lot of Dead Rising is saving people and the survivor A.I. is way better in this game than it was in the first game but that's just my feelings on the matter. Smashing Zombies faces in still feels as good and the bosses are just as silly as before. The only thing I really don't like is that the Zombrex thing just feels tacked on, like you gotta stop whatever your doing to run back to give the little girl her Zombrex. I dunno, I'm just not a fan of it. The game also feels like you get extra time to save people and fight bosses without losing out on the case file stuff.

Anyway I don't know If I'll ever play part 3 because I'm very lazy and I don't want to try to go looking for an X-Box 360 that works so I can play it. I might play part 4 because I do enjoy that rascal Frank West, but it feels both of those games dropped a lot of the comedy parts of the first two which is what brought a lot of fun to them, but I don't know if they end up being bad games just because of that. Uh.. yeah thanks for reading this boring horse shit about some old games and maybe if your good I'll write something interesting or funny.

1 comment:

  1. Dead Rising is a good series that is good and fun. They're better sandbox games than actual sandbox games. It's very arcade-y which is part of the appeal. I bizarrely enjoyed the overarching anti-meat sentiment baked into the story too. So out of place but not.

    1 is kinda broken but in a good way. The story in 2 is stupid and I agree the Zombrex thing is dumb. Both are worth playing though.

    I would definitely look into a cheap Xbone for DR3 and 4. Tbh DR3 is why I bought a Xbone, I'm that much of a fan of the series. DR3 is solid, it's only real flaw is the combo weapons break the game towards the end, they are so overpowered. Do I really need a immolated 12 foot motorized scythe that rains grenades as I swing it? No. Otherwise a fine upstanding game.

    4 is just literally broken. I never finished it because it bugged out on the final boss fight and corrupted my save file. Yeah. Modern gaming ftl. However the experience was fun as always and Frank West's return was long overdue. His stockier design was a hoot, as claw would say.

    DR5 was in the works but supposedly the studio doing it got shut down. Oops. So we'll see what comes next.

    ReplyDelete